Fatherhood and Finances

Hello everyone!

This week I think the topic is very prevalent to what we go through today and what our society is like. We have already discussed a little bit of the differences in gender roles and the importance of a nuclear family. That a family with a heterosexual couple and children has great benefits for the children and that the roles between men and women, husband and wife are varied. This week we will explore the topic of fatherhood and finances in a marriage and family relationship. 

It is very interesting to research the family background of those who shot up schools. Many of them did not have a father, or a father figure in their life. They lacked the discipline and relationship that could have sculpted them to be beneficial members of society. Instead, they developed issues and complex's that resulted in deaths of innocent lives. They could have had great mom's but the correlation of the absence of a father had significant impact on them.

I want you all to think of your home situation. Think of your father. Think of your mother. Who was the main provider? How did you feel about each parent and their role in your family?

When I look at my family I understand and appreciate the dedication to the roles my mother and father played. My father is the main provider and my mom was a stay at home mom, which I loved. I loved having her here with me. I don't think I completely understand and appreciate the sacrifices my dad has made to be the main provider and patriarch of our family. I also know that my parents wouldn't have it any other way. My parents are very wise with their money. They save and avoid debt. I have learned a lot and desire to learn more about how they deal with their finances. 

I have heard the the leading cause of divorce in the United States is financial struggle. It makes sense to me that it is hard enough to combine your life with another person when you marry, and it makes sense that it is even harder and more of a strain on your marriage when you struggle with spending and saving money you earn individually together. There are many factors that can come into play with finances in marriage. Do you choose to combine bank accounts and share everything? Do you each earn your own money and spend it individually? How do you decide how much you get to spend on new clothing, etc.? I feel like feelings such as anger, unfairness, inequality, and such can come into play when determining finances in marriage.

It is easy to see the problems that could arise and how so many things can go wrong but I think it is important to see these things and make active decisions and plans to avoid these struggles? Poor financial decisions in a marriage can very well lead to divorce. Divorce often means the absence of one or both parents and that can cause issues for the children which will affect future families.

There are many resources to build budgets and make spending plans. I plead with each of you to get together with your spouse and clear any issues there are with your finances or if you have not a spouse, make solid and concrete plans now to have a frugal and successful financial career. No one wants to struggle with money and worry, I know personally it is one of the most pressing and anxiety inducing struggles in the world.

I would love to hear your success stories or how you have seen successful financial relationships benefit the lives of those around you.

I hope you have a great week and talk to you next week!

- Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intimacy Transcends the Physical

Aren't We All Just Big Babies

Are There Stereotypes in Marriage and Family?